Ebola is a rare and deadly disease caused by infection with a strain of Ebola virus. The 2014 Ebola epidemic is the largest in history, affecting multiple countries in West Africa. The risk of an Ebola outbreak affecting multiple people in the U.S. is very low.
Ebola is spread through direct contact with blood and body fluids of a person infected by and already showing symptoms of Ebola. Ebola is not spread through the air, water, food, or mosquitoes. (Source: cdc.gov)
EPA posted Ebola claims guidance to its Antimicrobial Policy and Guidance Documents webpage: http://epa.gov/oppad001/ebola-efficacy-claims.html
According to that guidance, if a product is EPA-registered hospital disinfectant used for the disinfection of hard, non-porous surfaces and has at least one label claim for a non-enveloped virus (i.e., Norovirus; Hepatitis A Virus; Rotavirus; Adenovirus; Poliovirus; Parvovirus; Rhinovirus; or various Enteroviruses), it may be considered for the disinfection of surfaces infected with non-enveloped and enveloped viruses (to what Ebola virus belongs to). Additional information is available in the CDC guidance document.
Bru-Clean TbC disinfectant meets the CDC criteria for disinfectant products as follows:
- It is a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-registered hospital disinfectant with the label claims for non-enveloped viruses (they are Poliovirus, Hepatitis A, Parvovirus, and Norovirus)
- Bru-Clean TbC is intended for use on hard, non-porous surfaces
- The product’s label use instructions for the non-enveloped virus or viruses should be followed.
What is Bru-Clean TbC?
Bru-Clean TbC is a premeasured tablet containing sodium dichloroisocyanurate (NaDCC) that, when added to one gallon of water, creates a disinfectant solution that is effective against a broad array of pathogens, including MRSA, E. coli and Salmonella. This product is a convenient alternative to bleach.
Other Bru-Clean TbC benefits:
- EPA registered disinfectant – Registered kill claims provide the assurance of disinfectant efficacy for 32 microbes.
- Convenient premeasured tablets – Easy to use and store. 270 tablets make 270 gallons of disinfectant solution. Consistent concentration of daily prepared solution having less odor than bleach.
- Solution prepared at point-of-use – Easily prepare a fresh solution whenever needed.
- Neutral pH, biodegradable formulation – Much less corrosive to metals than liquid bleach. Less hazardous for users.
- Shelf life/stability of tablets – The active ingredient level in the tablet remains stable for two years.
The dilution rate is 1 tablet per gallon of water.
- Cleaning and disinfecting hard, non-porous surfaces, such as stainless steel
- Disinfecting all work areas – equipment, hoods, carts, isolators, floor
- Can easily replace liquid bleach in all applications
- Recommended for use as part of a disinfectant rotation program